This mixture can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to use.
Yields about 6 cups liquid
3 cups water
Stevia to taste (plant-based sugar substitute, sweetness should be more concentrated than for lemonade)
1 tablespoon lemon zest (zest of two lemons)
2 cups lemon juice
1. Zest two lemons (careful to avoid bitter white pith).
2. Combine sugar, water and lemon zest in a pan and heat over medium heat mix until sugar is dissolve. Continue heating until the mixture boils; turn off heat and allow to cool.
3. Using a citrus reamer or juicer extract the juice out of approximately.
4. Combine lemon juice with cooled sugar/water/zest mixture.
5. Run mixture through a strainer/sieve to remove zest and lemon pulp and seeds.
6. Pour mixture into clean empty water or juice bottle and refrigerate
7. Deliver mixture to school OR
8. Fill into 3 oz dixie cups (about 2/3 full), insert wooden stick/coffee stirer and freeze for at least 4 hours
Recipe adapted from HomeMadeEats.com